Thursday, July 3, 2008

You Say Potato, I Say Manfarang!

Potatoes are hard to find sometimes, but this morning I ate some sweet potatoes that were being cooked like streetmeat outside the park.

This past weekend I ended up going to Ayutthaya to meet up with a friend from Chapel Hill. I met Greg Smith last semester through some mutual friends and it turns out that he's volunteering at an AIDS hospital/temple in Lop Buri, about two hours north of Bangkok. We met up (after much ado on my part as I tend to starting shopping when I get lost) in Ayutthaya, one of the former capitals of Thailand in centuries past. Ayutthaya was the big trading mecca for th 14th to 18 Centuries until the Burmese Army sacked the city in 1767. The city is essentially an amazing location for ruins and temples, and it was quite the adventure. Upon arrival, without a map or fluency in Thai, I couldn't find my way around very well, so I ended up hopping on the back of a motorcycle taxi and finally arriving at our bungalow that Greg set up, Baan Lotus (home of the lotus). Infact, there were beautiful lotus flowers in the pond in the back.



Greg and I rented bicycles and rode around the city through traffic, but I didn't need a helmet because I had a beautiful new sun bonnet! We crossed a river by ferry and explored a temple and saw the Giant Buddha. We also went on a guided tiny bus tour with 4 other people from Baan Lotus that the littl old lady who owns it put together. The woman speaks perfect English, is about 4'8'', probably 75 years old, went to college in Tel Aviv Isreal, and is a retired medical scientist. Love her. On the bus tour, we went to some spectacular ruins, all of which are lit up beautifully at night by floodlights. We also went to an elephant farm where I got to see little baby elephants (chang). I finished off the night by buying Thai Fisherman Pants and drinking some Chang beer. Don't worry mother, the drinking age is 18. The following morning Greg and I could barely rise from our soft beds and oscillating fan after a night of much fun and conversation (sorry for waking you up Belgian lady), but we ended up biking across the city to find the afamed Giant Reclining Buddha. It was the coolest thing ever.


The rest of the week passed with classes, schoolwork, aerobics, and mostly as normal. However, during my Aerobics class on Monday morning, I was invited up on the stage once again to help lead class and it's the most exhilerating thing in the world. I've started an intensive Thai language class, and a traditional Thai dance class as well. Coming up soon: Americans celebrating Independence Day abroad...what will happen!?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A sun bonnet does not a helmet make - no matter how new the sun bonnet. Please bring your brain back home intact. Everywhere you visit sounds so fantastic to us back home. Soak it all up my little sponge creature. Love you! -mom

Unknown said...

Ditto from me as to what Mom said, my little spongebob squareface... save some sight-seeing for us when we come in October... Love, Yo Poppa

JFHMS said...

Hey Hillary,

Keep enjoying your awesome trip and "sponge bob" the unique culture. A sun bonnet for a helmet? Your smarter than that silly.

Uncle D.