Saturday, July 5, 2008

Satan Arrives in Time for Independence Day!


Satan, you ask? Well seeing as how everything over here in the Kingdom is so cheap, how could I resist a bootleg copy of Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion included! All of this excitement was spurned by the much awaited (at least in my life) announcement of pre-production for Diablo 3. Nicholas boys, it's going to be a good reunion in about 2 years when it finally comes out.

But I digress. This past weekend was my first time just sticking around Bangkok, and what a great decision it was! Every year the American Chamber of Commerce (affectionately: AmCham) hosts a blowout Fourth of July Party. On the grounds of the Port Authority of Thailand, Americans came out of the woodwork for this super-patriotic abroad experience. There were American soldiers, the US Ambassador to Thailand, rock music, burgers, burritos, baby back ribs, Budweiser, face painting, and naturally, fireworks at the end of the day. I was able to register for my absentee ballot there, and for a small donation I received a "Bangkok for Barack" t-shirt (oops, I didn't mean to give away my affiliation). The festivities were a ton of fun, even when it came to overhearing the occassional "what up bro" which brought back a warm sense of nostalgia. ~*sigh*~
I should mention that I got AMERICA painted on my back with the ol' Stars and Bars and an Eagle biting the head off of a snake. We danced into the night, feasting, and causing quite a commotion.
Interesting sidebar: while getting my back painted, I ended up talking to an American man who has lived in Thailand for the past 30 years and has married with little half-Thai babies. I mentioned that I was doing a major research project for my university on Nuclear Feasibility in Thailand and I just casually asked this man for his opinion. Can someone say "can o' worms"? After much ado, this man made it very clear that if there was nuclear energy coming to Thailand "it would be reason enough to leave" and take his family with him. He was VERY put off by my even asking... this project will prove more interesting than I thought!
More later... I simply must kill the Countess before this day is through! Over and out!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Thailand Tania,
Your July 4th activities were great! Too bad that the geezer was put off by your nuclear investigation... will make you work harder ... good times, for sure

Andrew said...

here's to bootleg video games!

sounds like things are going super well over there, good stuff.

stevenchu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stevenchu said...

All I recall of my experiences in Thailand years ago are the baby elephants, hookers outside hotels, and the amazing pineapple. So make sure to pick a few of each and bring them back to me please?

kthxgbye

Anonymous said...

i really like reading your blog.

i wish i was in thailand.

lets go back together when we are old.

a man smeared poop on the walls in sugarland two days ago.

i thought you would like that last one.

i meeeeeees you.

love. love. monk. love.

Anonymous said...

i really like reading your blog.

i wish i was in thailand.

lets go back together when we are old.

a man smeared poop on the walls in sugarland two days ago.

i thought you would like that last one.

i meeeeeees you.

love. love. monk. love.

Auston said...

I really happy to see your interesting post.
Iraqi Dinar